- Open 3 SME Hubs
- Opened Kandana Branch and add 3 Cash Deposit Machines.
- Opened 33 “Seylan Pahasara” libraries, increasing the total libraries to 153.
- Lanka Pay Services - Lanka Pay Technovation Awards –
- Bank of the Year for Excellence in Customer Convenience – Category B Group Winner
- Best Bank for Seamless Back-end Operations - Winner - Among all Banks in Sri Lanka
- Bank of the Year for Financial Inclusivity – Category B group winner
- Overall Award for excellence in Interbank payments - Runner up among all banks
- SLT 01 Awards 2016- Finance Category - Best Digital Integrated Campaign – Seylan Office Challenge
- Golden Globe Tiger Awards –
- Best Digital Media Team of the year – Gold
- Best use of Social Media for Seylan bank Social channels – Gold
- Added 8 New Branches and 20 ATMs and 6 Cash Deposit Machines to strengthen and enhance our ATM and CDM coverage in the country.
- Revamped Internet Banking system offering value added functionalities with stringent security enhancement.
- Opened 40 “Seylan Pahasara” libraries, taking the total number of libraries to 120 as a CSR initiative.
- Donate over Rs. 10Mn. Relief to flood victims.
- Over Rs. 16Mn for education related pursuits.
- Global Marketing Excellence Awards
- Innovative Launch Campaign of the Year - Seylan Website launch – Gold
- Best Use of Social Media in Marketing - Global Marketing Excellence Awards – Gold
- INDO Lanka Customer Engagement Forum –
- Innovative Launch Campaign of the Year - Seylan Website launch – Gold
- Events and Promotions - Seylan Office Challenge – Gold
- Social Media Brand of the Year - Seylan Bank PLC – Gold
- CMO ASIA – Social an d digital marketing excellence awards – 2016
- Best Use of Social Media for Customer Service - Seylan Bank Customer Support Channels – Gold
- Best Use of Facebook - Seylan Facebook - Gold
- Lauch of the “Freedom” Credit Card with Master Card.
- Added 2 branches and 5 ATMs to the network.
- Implemented a new AML system.
- Opened 29 “Seylan Pahasara” libraries, taking the total number of libraries to 80 as a CSR initiative.
- Revamped and upgraded the SMS alert system.
- Re-launched of the Bank’s corporate website.
- SLIM EFFIES - Seylan Sure – Bronze
- Golden Globe Tiger Awards 2015 –
- Best Use of Social Media in Marketing - Seylan Bank Social and Digital media - Gold
- Award for Brand Excellence in Banking and Financial Services - Seylan Bank PLC - Gold
- 4th Asian customer Engagement Forum
- Digital Marketing – Gold
- Below the line Promotion - Seylan Sure –BTL campaign – Gold
- Global Banking & Finance Review UK – Best SME Bank Sri Lanka 2014- Seylan Bank PLC
- 6th CMO ASIA Social and Digital Marketing Awards 2015
- Best Use of Face book - Seylan Bank Facebook page – Gold
- Best Use of Social Media - Seylan bank Social and Digital Channels – Gold
- Best integrated campaign - Seylan Office Challenge - Certificate of Merit
- Introduced the first ever “Visa Multi Currency Travel Card”.
- Added 6 Branches and 19 ATMs to the network.
- Opened 39 “Seylan Pahasara” libraries across the country, taking the total number of libraries to 51 as a CSR initiative.
- Launched mobile ATM facility and tied up with the Lanka Pay ATM switch.
- Business Today Magazine - Ranked among top 25 Corporate entities in Sri Lanka – Seylan Bank ranked 23rd.
- 2nd Asian Customer Engagement Forum – Mumbai
- Digital Marketing- Innovation – Tikiri game App – Silver
- Digital Marketing – Promotions - Big Seylan quiz on Facebook - Silver
- SLIM-Brand excellence awards - Seylan Tikiri - Turnaround Brand of the Year - Silver
- World Marketing Congress Global Marketing Excellence Awards –
- Best Loyalty Programme - Seylan Sure – Gold
- Revitalised Brand of the Year - Seylan Tikiri - Gold
- Best use of Social Media in Marketing - Seylan Bank Facebook page and Digital Efforts - Gold
- 3rd Asian Customer Engagement Forum – Mumbai
- Innovative Customer Engagement - Seylan Tikiri Pola - Gold
- Integrated Communication - Seylan Sure – Silver
- 19th Sumathi Tele Awards - Television Commercial of the year - Seylan Sure - Merit
- Seylan Bank celebrated its landmark 25th anniversary on 24th March 2013, with a series of religious and CSR activities across Sri Lanka.
- Religious observances took place at the Sri Maha Bodhi in Anuradhapura on 1st and 2nd March 2013. A nuga sapling was also planted in the Maha Meyuna Uyana with the participation of a large number of customers, staff and well-wishers.
- A holy mass of thanksgiving was also celebrated at the Supuwath Arana, Seeduwa. A special abishegam and pooja were held at the Nallur Kovil in Jaffna after which cots were gifted to the State Receiving Home, Kaithedy.
- Seylan Bank also sponsored the cataract operations of 25 patients at the Kuwait Hospital in Puttalam to help them regain their sight, while Luhar (noon) prayers and blessings were held at the Puttalam Grand Mosque.
- In parallel Seylan Bank also donated newly-refurbished libraries to four schools in different parts of the country. Among them were the Swarnapali Balika Maha Vidyalaya in Anuradhapura, Kopai Maha Vidyalayam in Jaffna, Fathima Muslim Girls’ School in Puttalam and Raddolugama Kanishta Vidyalaya.
- These were the forerunners of a total of 30 schools earmarked to receive libraries throughout the island, thus assuring long-term benefits to society at large by imparting knowledge to school children across the country.
Mr. Mohan Peiris President Counsel (former Attorney General) was appointed as the new Chairman of the bank with effect from 20th April 2012.
- Post tax profits reached LKR 1Bn despite payments made under the Voluntary Retirement Scheme.
- Mr. Kapila Ariyaratne was appointed as the General Manager/ Chief Executive Officer in March 2011.
- A new strategic plan covering the period 2012 – 2015 was developed.
- Fitch Ratings upgraded the bank’s credit rating to A- from BBB+ Bank was awarded a Merit Reward by SAFA (South Asian Federation of Accounts) for best present Accounts – 2010
- Seylan was ranked under the Gold category by LMD
- Seylan received a certificate of Compliance (2010) by The Institute of Chartered Accountants (SL)
- Bank won five ARC awards for the Annual Report 2010
For the first time in the bank’s history profit after tax exceeded LKR. 1.0 Billion Bank won the Gold award for the turnaround brand for 2009 at the Brand Excellence Award 2010 of SLIM (Sri Lanka Institute of Marketing)
Bank won the Bronze award for its “Annual Report 2009” under the overall banking sector category, which was organized by the Institute of Chartered Accountant of Sri Lanka in 2010.
Bank for the first time in its history won several international awards for its Annual Report 2009 published in 2010.
- Five awards under different categories for the “Annual Report 2009” organized by ARC-USA.
- Gold award for the “most improved Annual Report from Asia Pacific Region” at the League of American Communications Professionals – Vision Awards for publications produced in 2009 Bank won “A” brand rating by Brand Finance PLC UK and ranked 14th in the Sri Lanka’s Leading Brands (2010).
Bank was listed under the Top 20 Corporates of Sri Lanka evaluated by Business Today Magazine.
- Bank’s first strategic plan covering the period 2009 to 2011 was developed.
- Seylan Bank was placed first in the “Trade Finance quiz competition” organized by Trade Finance Association of Bankers
- Bank also won the first place in Inter Bank Quiz organized by Association of Chartered Bankers of Sri Lanka.
- First Bank in Sri Lanka to launch its corporate website in all three official languages.
- Management of the bank was entrusted to a new Board of Directors by the Central Bank of Sri Lanka. A veteran banker Mr. Eastman Narangoda was appointed as the new Executive Chairman of the bank.
The Bank introduced the concept of “Palm Top Banking” for the first time in Sri Lanka.
Reached LKR 100 Billion milestone in Customer Deposit base as at December 2006
- Passed Rs. 1 billion milestone in profitability before corporate tax.
- LMD, together with Sting Consultants adjudged Seylan as among the top 20brands in thecountry
- Ceylinco Group (Where Seylan is one of the largest stake holders) has rates as one of the three “ Most Respected Sri Lankan Entities” by the LMD.
- The role of the “Business Process Re- Engineering (BPR)” exercise was completed in August 2005.
- Successfully obtained the ISO 9001:2000 certification for HR & Skills Development Center (SDC).
Mr. Ajita Pasqual assumed duties as the Chief Executive Officer/ General Manger of the Bank
- The Bank recorded the highest profit in its entire history.
- Business Today Magazine positioned the Bank as the number 3 corporate in Sri Lanka, and LMD Magazine ranks the bank at number 4.
- The balanced scorecard system has advanced with introduction of balanced scorecard based budgeting.
- The formation of a specialised Development Banking Unit to serve the SME sector of the country and facilitate poverty alleviation.
- Mrs. Rohini Nanayakkara relinquishes her duties as GM/CEO, with Mr Ajita Pasqual named as her successor from 2004.
The Bank won the Best Business Expansion Award at Western Union Middle East & South Asia Regional Conference held in Goa.
- The Chatham Street Branch moved into “Ceylinco House” and was renamed as the Ceylinco House Branch”.
- This year also saw the introduction of Visa Electron Card, Visa affinity Cards to old boys of St. Joseph’s , St. Peter’s and St. Benedict’s College.
- The Rewards Plus Scheme was replaced with the “Merit Rewards” scheme.
- The Bank’s ‘Govisarupatha’ won the prestigious Asian Banking Award under the category for the best product coming under the micro- credit project.
The Y2K issue was successfully handled.
The Bank introduced a CP based system for budgeting and performance assessment. The first awards ceremony under this system was also held this year.
Mrs. Rohini Nanayakkara was appointed as the Chief Executive Officer/ General Manger of the Bank.
- Introduced the “Profit Center Concept” in 1997 enhancing the autonomy of branches.
- Marking its 10th Anniversary, Seylan Bank moved into its new Headquarters Building namely Ceylinco Seylan Towers, situated in Kollupitiya and opening of the Millennium Branch.
Commenced the second overseas operation as Sri Lanka Express Exchange in Oman
Linked with Visa International Network, to issue Visa Classic & Visa Gold Credit Cards
- Commencement of the bank’s first overseas operation occurred with the takeover of Hadi Express Exchange in Dubai and subsequently linked up with the Saudi American Bank in order to provide “Speed Cash” Service to customers, which was another money transfer system to assist Sri Lankans working in the Middle East
- Obtained membership in SWIFT (Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Tele communication), to relay documentary credits, customer instructions and bank transfers etc.
- Linked with Visa International Network, to issue Visa Classic and Visa Gold Credit Cards, launched ATM card namely “SMART” ( Seylan Multi Action Rapit Teller) and introduced the Seylaphone service
Seylan Bank recorded history as the first Bank to introduce an indigenous credit card – Seylan Card.
Sri Lankan Branch of the Bank of Credit & Commerce International (BCCI) was taken over and recommenced its operations as the Chatham Street Branch of Seylan Bank.
The license to commence banking business was issued by the Central bank of Sri Lanka on 18th March 1988. The soft opening was conducted by Deshamanya Dr. Lalith Kotelawala on 24th March 1988 introducing the Saturday banking from the very inception.